Welcome to our forums! Please login or register to get access to all our forums!
Welcome to our forums! Please login or register to get access to all our forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Overclocking your screen

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DCG909

DCG909

Overclocking your screen Empty
PostSubject: Overclocking your screen   Overclocking your screen EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Most of you probably know you can overclock your GPU, CPU and RAM.
But most don't know you can also overclock your desktop/laptop screen.

A program you can use to do this is Custom Resolution Utility (or CRU for short), it allows you to edit the registry in Windows that manages your screen settings, like resolution profiles and matching timings.
To overclock a screen you'll need to add a new profile with just has a higher Hz

The program and detailed instructions can be found here:
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

If the screen won't allow the higher settings it will just go black for 15 seconds and return to the standard value.
To test if the chosen resolution really works, I use this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423433
There are also some advices for other tests.

I've overclocked both my pc's
My laptop does 75Hz and my desktop does 70Hz.
There is a noticeable difference compared to 60Hz in some programs. quick paced games might be a little smoother or give just that little edge.

However, like overclocking a gpu, cpu and ram, use this at your own risk. If you don't feel comfortable trying or setting something high, don't do it.
Back to top Go down
[TmX]Sean

[TmX]Sean

PostSubject: Re: Overclocking your screen   Overclocking your screen EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

I'd personally advise against overclocking one's screen - it can damage your screen and imo is not worth it at all.

Some interesting links you have there though. :)
Back to top Go down
DCG909

DCG909

PostSubject: Re: Overclocking your screen   Overclocking your screen EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:44 pm

At first I was quite sceptical as well. But I've been running these settings for almost a year now and there hasn't happened anything yet.

In a game like audiosurf 2 you can clearly notice the improvements.
It won't have any real benefits for things like word though.

It seems that literally everything is overclockable :s
You can even overclock some special Intel SSD's allow you to set the controller's speed higher.
The only thing I haven't heard of is the (W)LAN.

Back to top Go down
Evono

Evono

PostSubject: Re: Overclocking your screen   Overclocking your screen EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:59 pm

DCG909 wrote:
At first I was quite sceptical as well. But I've been running these settings for almost a year now and there hasn't happened anything yet.

In a game like audiosurf 2 you can clearly notice the improvements.
It won't have any real benefits for things like word though.

It seems that literally everything is overclockable :s
You can even overclock some special Intel SSD's allow you to set the controller's speed higher.
The only thing I haven't heard of is the (W)LAN.

You can overclock Lan , HDD , SSD , Monitor , GPU , Ram , CPU , Soundcard , Northbridge ( conn between cpu and motherboard ) and even more

Still most of these dont have nearly a worthful impact. + exotics like Lan , HDD are hard to OC because no one does it ( because it rly does nearly nothing )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overclocking your screen   Overclocking your screen Empty

Back to top Go down

Overclocking your screen
Page 1 of 1